Funky instrumentals from a bunch of seasoned session pros.
This entertaining if rather low key collection of organ-led jams is a cult album of the rare groove scene.
On keys we have Clarence McDonald, who may not be a familiar name, but his organ and piano were featured on countless soul, blues and '70s jazz sessions. Guitar comes from David T. Walker, whose Wes Montgomery influenced debut album is high on my want-list. Bassman Bill Upchurch (no relation to Phil Upchurch) worked for Motown, among others.
Wikipedia informs us, that
"Paul Nelson Humphrey is an American jazz and funk/R+B drummer.
He worked as a session drummer in the 1960s for jazz artists such as Wes Montgomery, Les McCann, Kai Winding, Jimmy Smith, Charles Mingus, Lee Konitz, Blue Mitchell and Gene Ammons.
As a bandleader, he recorded under the name Paul Humphrey and the Cool Aid Chemists, with Clarence MacDonald, David T. Walker, and Bill Upchurch. In 1971, this ensemble had two hits, "Cool Aid" (US #29, US Black Singles #14) and "Funky L.A." (US Black Singles #45).
Humphrey was one of the drummers on Marvin Gaye's album Let's Get It On. He also recorded with Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, Jerry Garcia, Jimmy Smith, The Four Tops, Al Kooper, Jackie DeShannon, Natalie Cole, Albert King, Quincy Jones, Dusty Springfield, Jean-Luc Ponty, Michael Franks, Maria Muldaur, and others."
Pretty impressive list of sideman jobs, isn't it? And that list misses his work for the Lawrence Welk show...
"Cool Aid" was a considerable hit, personally i can't stand the fake audience sounds, though. Buddy Miles' "Them Changes" and Stevie Wonder's "Music Talk" are really nice groovers. The ballads, "Sack Full Of Dreams" and "Something", are too slimy for my taste.
On "Baby Rice" Clarence McDonald unpacks his array of keyboard sounds and effects, while "Detroit" is a nice stepper. "Ain't That Peculiar" is the one ballad here that works really nice. "Funky L.A." has some uncredited vocals.
There's nothing really spectacular happening here, but if you're in the mood for some nice funky jams, you sure could do worse.
Paul Humphrey And The Cool-Aid Chemists: s/t
Lizard A 20106, US 1969
A1 Cool Aid (Mekler) 2:40
A2 Them Changes (Miles) 3:20
A3 Sack Full Of Dreams (McFarland/Savary) 3:25
A4 Music Talk (Wonder/Paul) 4:15
A5 Something (Harrison) 2:20
B1 Baby Rice (Humphrey) 2:54
B2 Detroit (Humphrey) 2:31
B3 Ain't That Peculiar (Robinson/Moore/Tarplin/Rogers) 2:55
B4 Dreams (Allman) 3:06
B5 Funky L.A. (Porter) 2:59
Clarence McDonald (keys) David T. Walker (g) Bill Upchurch (b) Paul Humphrey (d)
Recorded At Sound Factory Hollywood

17 comments:
http://freetexthost.com/q0mihqcpcv
pass: hideaway
Cool.
I wasn't aware of Paul Humphrey at all — or this album. Looking forward.
Much appreciated indeed.
Exxxcellent album, known it for years...on TDK cassette! all I have today is a low bitrate MP3 rip, so I try yours for trading up [:-) Thanks LPR
peace, E-mile
Thanks again LPR
I love good groove and tasteful guitar along with some fine advanced drumming from PH for the time
Cheers
http://hooterollin.blogspot.com/2011/09/paul-humphrey-drums.html
details Humphrey's time with the Garcia/Saunders band in 1974 as well as providing some general background on Humphrey.
I'd LOVE to hear Jerry with Humphrey!!
Anyone's got "Pure Jerry: Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders Band: Keystone Berkeley, September 1, 1974."?? If so, please share! The cd goes at amazon for 50,- and more...
Hello LPR,
I'm still around. Not posting, too much work and poor internet connection but still enjoying albums posted by fellow bloggers. Looking forward to hearing this album, don't remember seeing it in the blogworld before. Keep up the good work! Cheers
Great to hear from you, Boogieman! Hope all is well with you in your new home.
I enjoyed this album quite a lot. I think you nailed the high and low points and the overall album in general in your comments. I wasn't aware of Humphrey's tenure with Jerry and Merl and I'd certainly like to hear that Pure Jerry set you mentioned as well. Humphrey really is a hell of a drummer. Zappa was notorious for being extremely demanding of his drummers so if you drummed for Zappa you can really play. Ditto Steely Dan. Humphrey knows when to be busy and when to be spare and he does it with clock-steady accuracy and appropriate and interesting accents that keep the tunes moving and grooving. Thank you LPR!
Damn, i was hoping you had that Jerry set somewhere, Kris ;-)
http://exystence.net posted quite a few GD albums, but it seems impossible to search the site.
Yeah, Exystence has changed something because you can't search out old posts and even when you click their "Grateful Dead" tag they don't come up. However, I've got some good news for you. After looking into it with a bigger magnifying glass I DO have the Pure Jerry with Paul Humphrey on the skins! I don't have FLAC though so 320K will have to do. Links coming your way via a comment in this post later this week LPR!
Ain't that good news? Looking forward to the Jerry set!
Okay, here's the links to the Pure Jerry Series Volume 4. Sorry for the invalid rebuff the first time. I had it in my head that the "Humphrey Volume" was Volume 1, which I don't have. Closer inspection revealed the truth. Nice to be able to give a little something back. Enjoy LPR!
http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/21803851/file.html (CD1)
http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/78907213/file.html (CD2)
http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/71734617/file.html (CD3)
BTW, if anyone does have Volumes 1, 2, or 3 of the Pure Jerry series or where to find them, I'd love to get a link or URL.
Fantastic! Many thanks, Kris!
I guess, "Garcia Live" is yet a different series?
Three volumes are up at Avax:
http://avaxhm.com/hraphile/analogue_rips/jerry_garcia_band__live_vol1_24.html
http://avaxhm.com/music/rock/Jerry_Garcia_Garcia_Live_Volume_3.html
http://avaxhm.com/hraphile/smasters/jerry_garcia_band_live_volume_2_hd.html
Wow, the Garcia/Saunders session is beautiful. Great to hear Jerry in such a jazzy context. Must be the first time i heard him play bossa nova!
Haven't heard much Legion Of Mary recordings, so i'm not sure about the difference Humphrey's presence brings to the group sound.
Thanks again, Kris!
Glad you enjoyed it LPR and this was of course the perfect reason for me to go back and re-visit this set as well. I too thought it was a very fine example of Legion Of Mary although I haven't heard a whole lot of their recordings either. They were only around for about 6 or 7 months and I never saw them live. From what I have heard though, this is pretty typical of what they did. Humphrey is great on this set and of course Ron Tutt is also a great drummer and they both know that serving the song is job #1 so I don't really think having Humphrey in the drummers changed their sound but it sure didn't lose anything. Anyway, it is a great set. I'm glad you gave me the excuse to listen to it again.
....that should have been "I don't reallhy think having Humphrey in the drummers CHAIR changed their sound..."
I heard this record many years ago! and I forget this wonderful tunes.
Thanks
Post a Comment