More guitar centered soul-jazz.
Too busy at the moment to add my own babble, but the AMG likes it:
"Breeding of Mind pairs guitarist O'Donel Levy with arranger Manny Albam for a genre-defying set that embraces elements of jazz, funk and baroque pop -- the end result is soulful and sublime, couching Levy's uncommonly expressive tone in a series of bold, lush contexts that underline the sophistication of his craft. Backed by bassist Eric Ward, organist Charles Covington and drummer Chester Thompson, Levy transcends the limitations of Groove Merchant warhorses like "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "We've Only Just Begun" with aplomb, winnowing deep inside their familiar melodies to reveal new layers of loveliness, but Breeding of Mind is undoubtedly best served by originals like "Cherries" and "The Chocolate Horse," which address contemporary funk sensibilities with remarkable imagination and intricacy."
O'Donel Levy: Breeding Of Mind
Groove Merchant GM 507, US, 1972
A1 We've Only Just Begun (P. Williams, R. Nichols) 3:55
A2 It's Too Late (King, Stern) 3:33
A3 Breeding Of Mind (O'Donel Levy) 3:10
A4 Cherries (O'Donel Levy) 4:00
A5 On Broadway (Leiber/Stoller, Mann/Weill) 3:34
B1 Ideal (O'Donel Levy) 3:58
B2 Never Can Say Goodbye (C. Davis) 5:15
B3 Let's Stay Together (Al Green, Willie Mitchell) 3:08
B4 The Chocolate Horse (O'Donel Levy) 3:15
B5 Angel Eyes (Brent, Dennis) 4:29
O'Donel Levy (g) Charles Covington (org) Eric Ward (b) Chester Thompson (d) Manny Albam (arr. A1-4 only)

13 comments:
http://freetexthost.com/v0g1a0kf0e
pass: hideaway
Very 70's and very agreeable. Thanks Porco.
very nice,thanks
Thanks Porco. I'm still looking for Dawn of a New Day (1973). Any chance? Would be appreciated!
dan-the-man
My pleasure, folks.
Dan, I'd love to hear him play Maiden Voyage and People Make The World Go Round, but don't have "Dawn" and never seen it around. It's available as an mp3 download, though.
CLASSIC AND GREAT MUSIC.
MANY THANKS FOR THIS FLAC SHARE !
D.J. ChinaBlack
Thanks anyway Porco, especially for everything else. If it's just for 'People' youtube makes the world go round: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVnQbGMUz4
Cheers, dan-the-man
Very nice. Many thanks, LPR.
wonderful, Thank you!
I like this one too but not nearly as much as the Eddie Fisher offering. Levi's playing is fluid and accomplished enough but this album is much more M.O.R. and therefore much more suited to background music than active listening IMO. The strings are a bit too sugary for me as well which adds to the reasons why this record should be tagged as "Easy Listening" rather than "Soul Jazz" or "Funky Jazz" to me. No doubt the man can play though and he does play some really sweet lines and licks on this record. I'd love to hear him in a less pop-oriented and over-produced setting. I guess I'm saying that Levy is better than the end product that we get to hear on this album.
....I must say that Broadway is a particularly great cut on this album. I just wish that the whole thing would've used this cut as the template!
...and yet another comment from me on this one. I must say that I didn't listen to the second half of this album very closely as I had many interruptions etc. and missed some of it. After listening a second time I'll say that what I said in my initial comment is true for the first half of the album but the rest of the album is MUCH better and does away with the sappy strings etc. Sorry to throw the baby out with the bath water there as the second half of this album it just great on the 2nd listening!
I have a lot of respect for Manny Alban's jazz work, but i tend to agree with you about the strings, Kris.
You may enjoy this:
http://hippy-djkit.blogspot.de/2013/10/odonel-levy-everything-i-do-gonna-be.html
Post a Comment