Oct 29, 2014

Hans Haider: Lautarre mal 2 (1977)

Re-up on request:
A German luthier who plays his own compositions on a self-developed lute-guitar. This is a very beautiful album that has evolved into a personal favorite. The music is warm and soothing and equally suited to be listened to closely or just to create a calm atmosphere.

Haider's compositions tend to the classical side but show many other influences, too, such as folk and jazz. None of these pieces wears it's influences on it's sleeve, though. The opening "Cancion para Olivia" is a good example. Even if it is titled "Cancion", it is structured like a small concerto, with a lively first movement that introduces a lovely theme, followed by two slower movements (adagio and andante, if you will) and a reprise and variation of the first movement. "Pour Barbara" has a bit of a jazzy drive, an influence that is more obvious on "Stephan's Swing", which sounds like a (very relaxed) variation on gypsy/manouche jazz. I like all tunes here and most are probably best categorized as being simply "guitar music".

The following was cobbled together from the album's liner notes and from German wikipedia (which has an entry on Haider as well his "Lautarre"):

Haider was a skilled luthier who teached himself to play guitar. He played with several popular orchestras (James Last) and Schlager singers (Caterina Valente), as well as working with guitarists such as Sigi Schwab or David Qualey.
Haider's guitar-concertos and compositions for solo guitar were recorded by several radio stations. He also worked as a lecturer at the Academy of Music in Hamburg.

Haider started to develop his own type of instrument in the 1970s, the "Lautarre" (from "Laute" and "Gitarre"). There are variations of the lute-guitar with 6, 7, 8 even 13 strings. Talking about the seven-string version, Haider said: "Thanks to the seventh string and a longer neck the sound possibilities are broadened by a quint down and a quart up. What's more, the sound is much fuller thanks to a doubled sound board. The biggest benefit though is the possibility to play all kinds of music without having to change the guitar all of the time. Everything is possible from renaissance lute music and classical music, to bossa-nova, flamenco, folk and jazz."

The instrument on "Lautarre mal 2" is an 8-string model with a cutaway. The album was recorded at Haider's own studio using overdubs to add a second lute-guitar, which explains the title that translates to "Lute-guitar 2 times".

Hans Haider: Lautarre mal 2
Eulenspiegel (Ger) EULP 1016

Side A
Cancion para Olivia 5:07
Serbian Dance 3:13
Memories of a Summerday 6:21
lndian Walz 3:22

Side B
Pour Barbara 3:00
Summer's Beauty 6:21
Stephan's Swing 3:30
Improvisation 6:03

All tunes written by Hans Haider

11 comments:

Howard said...

Wow, thank you, man. This is indeed the kind of stuff I crave!

LPR said...

My pleasure, Howard.

If you're aware of any other blogs with a focus on acoustic guitar stuff, please let me know.

Howard said...

Well, I can offer these links. But I have a feeling you may already know of these sites.

http://doomandgloomfromthetomb.tumblr.com/
http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/
http://delta-slider.blogspot.com/

These often have some good links to other web sites offering acoustic guitar material. Every once in a while I'll get a gem or two.

http://workandworry.com/

offers mainly reviews of new material. But it hasn't had any new posts in a while now.

I am always searching for odd, obscure, and rare material in the acoustic guitar vein, but it's hard to find. You have been one of the best sources. It's too bad so much of the old stuff will never be re-released.

LPR said...

Thanks Howard!

I knew delta-slider, a truly excellent blog, but not the others.

Kovina Kris said...

I agree LPR, a very nice album indeed both in the background and in the forefront. His guitar-lute is fascinating as well. It seems to work quite well and the lower bass possibilities are really noticeable. One of my personal favorites is "Indian Waltz". Great stuff. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

new link
http://freetexthost.com/4urrgobk2h

pass: hideaway

Anonymous said...

Greetings, I have been having a consistent problem for a week anyway with freetexthost. Every time I go there I get: Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/freetext/public_html/view.php on line 21
Too many connections
Do you have any suggestions? Truly love your site, you have great stuff here and I have followed you all the way from guitarandthewind. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Greetings again, I of course have no idea what you did to fix that error but I am truly thankful whatever it was. Cheers...

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the re-up, LPR! This one's every bit as beautiful and engaging as the first lp.

And a huge thank you for all the good work you do in sharing these nearly-forgotten musical gems with the world.
-peacenik

LPR said...

Anon,
i didn't do anything with the freetext link. It seems they're not that reliable, unfortunately. Glad it works now.

Daver88 said...

Many Thanks LPR for the Hans Haider posts. A good luthier & fine player is a rare thing.